Dry-fried green beans with pork (乾煸四季豆)

One of my family’s favourite Chinese takeout spots is this place near where I grew up that had 三和菜 specials (sam wo choi/san he cai/three dish combo). We would always get crispy Calgary beef (younger bro’s fave), lemon chicken, and dry-fried green beans with hot and sour soup on the side. And all for CAD 20 + tax!!! Agh so good. The dry-fried green beans were always so bomb: crispy, spicy, savoury, meaty (but not overly so) and juicy. I remember trying to recreate it at home sometime in high school or university, but I didn’t know that you had to fry the green beans separately, so I ended up with something super sub-par haha. Now I know better :D From this experience, I learned:

  • Green beans take so long to fry!! I guess patience and multiple batches are key to success haha
  • Either use less pork/more green beans next time, or mince the pork more finely (I used ½ lb of ground pork to 1 lb of green beans—good for a main dish but doesn’t have to be as meaty for a side dish)
  • DEFINITELY add some chillies!!

(original recipe from The Woks of Life)

Comments

Popular Posts