Baked Portuguese chicken rice (焗葡國雞飯)


This is my go-to order at HK-style cafes (茶餐廳) along with some milk tea! :D Although… I feel like none of the baked Portuguese chicken dishes I’ve had have ever compared to that very first one I had back at Bubble Tease at the UW plaza hahaha. I just very clearly remember visiting Waterloo during a co-op term one evening, eating dinner there, and my one friend (who was doing co-op at RIM at the time) telling me that he had been ordering that particular dish like once a week LOL. Being unfamiliar with HK-style cafes, I didn’t really know what to order, so it made sense that if my friend enjoyed it so much then I should get it too. And who knows how good it really was (especially since Bubble Tease is, well, Bubble Tease), but at the time, I thought it was AMAZING. It must have had copious amounts of melted cheese in it haha! That’s how it became my favourite 茶餐廳 dish.

It never occurred to me that I could try making this at home until a couple weeks ago, when I was looking for more recipes to make. Thanks to my friend Samantha(’s mom) for sending a legit recipe for this! :D It was actually pretty easy to make, albeit a bit time-consuming because you have to let the potatoes and carrots soften. I’m already looking forward to retrying this recipe and tweaking some parts! :)

(original recipe from Christine’s Recipes)

Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs. (6 pcs) chicken thigh (boneless/bone-in both work, and usually skin-on; I removed the bone and kept most of the skin on), cut into large-ish chunks
  • Marinade
    • 2 tbsp light soy sauce
    • 1 tbsp cornstarch
    • 1 tbsp sugar
    • 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
    • pepper, to taste
  • Veggies
    • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 yellow onion, cut into chunks
    • 2 Russet potatoes, cut into chunks
    • 1 carrot, cut into chunks
    • 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
    • ½ lb (?) green beans (optional), chopped
  • Sauce
    • 1 tbsp turmeric powder
    • ½ tbsp cumin powder
    • 2-2.5 cups chicken stock
    • 1 can coconut milk
    • 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2-3 tbsp cold water (for thickening)
  • Fried rice/white rice
  • Shredded cheese, for melting

Instructions:

  1. Marinate the chicken in the marinade for 20 minutes. (If you, like me, forgot this step, then go to step 2. Otherwise, skip ahead to step 3.)
  2. In a large wide pot, or a cast iron skillet, heat a small amount of high-heat oil and brown the chicken thigh pieces, starting with the skin side down. Fry in batches if necessary. Set aside.
  3. Saute the garlic, and then the onions, until onions are translucent.
  4. Add the chicken, and (if you haven’t already) fry until golden brown. Add the marinade seasonings here if you forgot them lol.
  5. Add the potatoes and carrots, then add the turmeric and cumin. Fry until aromatic.
  6. Add the chicken stock, and let the mixture simmer until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender. Make sure the liquid covers them—if not, add some water.
  7. Preheat the oven to 400°F, or set the broiler to high. Add the coconut milk, then make a slurry with the cornstarch and water and add it in. Stir and simmer briefly to thicken. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Pack rice into the bottom of a casserole dish, then pour chicken/coconut sauce on top (unless you used a cast iron skillet like I did, in which case, ignore that). Top with cheese, then broil or roast for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and charred to your liking.

Makes 6 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts