Tomato Fried Egg (番茄炒蛋)

I think I was first introduced to this dish by my university roommates—they would either make it at home or order it at restaurants, which prompted me to start trying to make it too. I loved the dish when it was made by others, but each time I tried making it myself, there was always at least one thing off about it: the egg was too cooked, or the tomatoes weren’t mushy or saucy enough, or the umami flavour just wasn’t there. Over the years, and especially thanks to the link below, I’ve learned a few things:

  • The reason why it tastes so good at restaurants is because they probably use MSG LOL.
  • Cornstarch slurries are your friend! This is what makes the sauce thick.
  • Cooking the eggs separately helps you control its doneness. I personally like my scrambled eggs just underdone (it tastes creamier), so that’s what I did here.
  • My university roommates used to add ketchup to their tomato fried eggs—I didn’t do that here, but I might consider it next time to amp up the tomato flavour. I always thought the ketchup was what made the sauce thick; I guess I will experiment next time.
  • Remember to salt/season to taste!

Today’s attempt turned out *great* thanks to those tips 👌 I feel like I’ve finally conquered this dish! :D

(original recipe from Adam Liaw)

Ingredients:

  • high-heat cooking oil
  • 2 large (beefsteak) tomatoes, quartered and sliced into small pieces
  • 6 large eggs, beaten
  • 3 stalks green onion
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 2-3 tbsp cold water
  • salt and sugar, to taste

Instructions:

  1. Quarter and then slice the tomatoes into manageable pieces, removing the tough stalks.
  2. Chop the green onions into 2-inch lengths.
  3. Heat oil in a wok, and throw the tomatoes in when hot.
  4. Season with salt and sugar.
  5. Cook tomatoes until mushy.
  6. Add the green onions. (at this point, you can taste the sauce to see if it’s seasoned to your liking)
  7. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and cold water, and pour into the wok along with some extra water if the sauce is getting too dry.
  8. Set tomato sauce aside, rinse the wok, then add more oil.
  9. Add the beaten eggs and gently scramble until just set.
  10. Add the tomato sauce back in.
  11. Season to taste.

Comments

Popular Posts